Saturday, February 18, 2012

What's cooking, good looking?



Thanks for joining me at BlissLists...the blog where I share some of my favorite "finds" with you!

Today's post focuses on one of my other great loves...COOKING! I know some people are cooks & others are bakers....I love to do both! I was raised in the kitchen with my grandmother, who was from the "pinch of this, dash of that" school of (predominantly Southern) cooking. She made a MEAN apple pie and the best baked macaroni & cheese on the planet....none of that blue box, powdered cheese product stuff for this girl! I got the real deal....if only I had gotten some of those recipes in writing!

Since I didn't....I've had to improvise!
I've collected a bunch of great sources over the years, from cookbooks, to cooking blogs, to online foodie resources.
Favorite restaurants are too many to list here....I will pepper (haha!) future posts with  a few names to tempt your tummy!

Now, onto the list....

First, the cookbooks:

Some of my recent favorites are La Tartine Gourmande, anything by Giada DeLaurentiis, and Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basics and How Easy is That? I like seeing what the food is meant to look like, so I'm a sucker for pretty pictures....

which is how I got hooked on cooking blogs!

Some of my favorites are:

Joy the Baker (who has her own cookbook coming out soon!), La Tartine Gourmande, Lottie & Doof, French Revolution, and Over a Tuscan Stove.
Also, check out www.gojee.com for a host of recipes from various sources...the photos are mouthwatering!!!

I visited Seattle for the first time last summer and discovered a FABULOUS Olive Oil vendor in Pike's Market: Sotto Voce (www.sottovoce.com).Their website is currently under construction, but check back...you can order luscious Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar in several flavors...mix & match your favorites!

Another favorite is www.nudo-italia.com. You can order Olive Oil, pasta, condiments straight from Italy...even adopt your own olive tree! Great resource, great blog, great book about the couple who own the company....check out The Dolce Vita Diaries.

How about some honey, honey?
I learned about this resource on Kimberly Snyder's website (www.kimberlysnyder.net). In case you don't know her, she is THE nutritionist to the stars! She has a great book called The Beauty Detox,  and her "Glowing Green Smoothie" is to DIE for!  Anyway, her beekeeper of choice is www.WhiteOakApiary.com, located in upstate NY. Just ordered some honey and bee pollen....easy breezy & delicious!

So that's it for now, kids!

Hope you enjoyed my latest post.....would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, recommendations for future topics.

Have a fabulous weekend!

xox



5 comments:

  1. You inspire me so much with your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. F bought me Veganomicon vegan cookbook. I made my first 3 vegan recipes ever yesterday and they all came out wonderful. Certainly a little different way of cooking, and got me looking for interesting new ingredients. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the font change. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for turning me on to Joy the Baker -- I love her!! I found an olive oil store on Cape Cod where you can taste all the different oils, it's amazing! There's so many, even Evo with chocolate!! It's fabulous on beef!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ SMOG....isn't she GREAT!!!! So funny & fabulous recipes! I'm dying to join you at the Oil store on the Cape...yummy! xo

    ReplyDelete